Name:
Location: Iraq

I'm a little home-sick, Doc, but I think I'll be better soon.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

My Friend Tommy

One of the benefits of my deployment is meeting people from all over the world. Still, the best people you'll ever meet, even here in Iraq, are from Dixie. One such person is Lieutenant Colonel Tommy Griffin of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. What a gentleman. I've only know Tommy since April 06, but his southern charm and genuine goodness make him an instant friend to everyone he meets. Tommy and I were travelling home together for our two weeks of leave from this place. We talked a little about our work, a little about our civilian lives and a lot about our families. Tommy is a family man.

When I got home, I e-mailed the deputy commanding general of the 108th to give him a SITREP (situation report) on things in Iraq. I wanted to remind him about the dedication of people like Tommy, who, faced with the option of retiring from the Army to avoid deployment to Iraq, chose duty above convenience. Here's what I wrote to General Mallory:

I wish everyone was aware of the kinds of sacrifices so many of our folks made prior to their deployment. I was talking to a friend from Mississippi the other day (LTC Tommy Griffin). He was in the 100th Division when they merged with us a couple of years ago. After he became a part of the 108th, he learned he would be called up for deployment to Iraq. Like me, Tommy was an entrepreneur, running an egg distribution business begun by his father and in continuous operation for over 50 years. Immediately, he was presented with a real problem about what to do with his business. After many weeks of prayer and thoughtful consideration, Tommy decided he would do his duty and not resist deployment to Iraq by any means. He made the decision, with his family, to liquidate the family business. He told me, “Allan, you just can’t imagine how hard that was for me.” When Tommy re-deploys from Iraq next year, he’ll have to find new employment. But right now, he’s focused on his mission and doing a heck of a job for the United States Army and for the citizens of Iraq.

Yesterday, I got back to Baghdad and looked for Tommy to ask him how his leave went. Then, someone told me that Tommy's house caught fire while he was at home and burned to the ground. He's still in Mississippi, now on emergency leave. See: http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007701040324

Tommy is one of the smartest guys I know and I have no doubt that he will be fine in the long run. But right now, he's got to be wondering what else can go wrong. Please keep my friend and his family in your prayers. I'll keep you posted on their progress. People interested in helping the Griffins can call First Baptist Church at (601) 544-0100. Church employee Anita Pannell said gift cards for food and clothing are encouraged.

Thank you,
allan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home