Name:
Location: Iraq

I'm a little home-sick, Doc, but I think I'll be better soon.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Ramadan

My friends here are about ten days into Ramadan. They are so devout and sweet about their fasting, never making a big deal of it. As a matter of fact, they are practicing Matthew 6: 16-18 and they don’t even know it. I feel ashamed of myself sometimes when I think about my life, my beautiful home and how I have every blessing available to man, more than I deserve, and yet some days I don’t even slow down long enough to count those blessing and talk to the living God who also lives in me, much less set aside more than a month of days to focus on Him, fast and pray.

What would happen if Christians in America decided to have a Ramadan. Think about it, a whole month of fasting and praying (to a risen Savior, something my friends here do not have). Not just a few Christians, but everybody, Catholic, Protestant, everybody. A song comes to mind, “What if His People Prayed” (by Casting Crowns). If My people called by My name would humble themselves and pray…..
Well, that would really be something.

Ramadan is a big concern for us because we start another class in a few days and our training is hard, hot and long. These guys won’t drink anything during daylight hours. We will try to train as much as we can on a reverse cycle but most of what we do must be done in the daylight. So, there will be the potential for heat casualties. Thankfully, the weather is changing and it is much cooler than the last cycle.

I know everyone is concerned about the news from Baghdad. It seems much worse than it is. I don’t want to minimize the loss of a single life, but the truth is, things are much the same as they have been. Please be aware that the media knows the time of the year (in America) and that has a lot to do with how things get reported/represented. As for us, we are very content here at Besmaya but we are also vigilant to maintain our security and to practice force protection. Don’t worry.

I’ll send more in a few days, in the mean time, here’s a picture of our mess hall (the Babylon Café). Eat here and wonder why you don’t fast more.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My studio teacher is practicing ramadon this month too. She's much more laid back and sleepy now. I love it because she's not her usual pain in the arse that she has been all year. It's been a good month thus far.
-ACE

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, sir. LD in a few. Hope to see you when I hit the ground.

Starnes

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, sir. LD in a few. See you on the high ground.

Starnes

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home