Name:
Location: Iraq

I'm a little home-sick, Doc, but I think I'll be better soon.

Monday, October 30, 2006

My Misadventure (Monday 30 October 2006)

I'm posting this from the Palace (in the IZ). I'm trying not to have a heart attack. Maybe if we can find the humor in this situation, I'll be alright. In this country, if you make a mistake, you pay dearly. Here's the explanation of my dilemma in an e-mail I just sent to my Sergeant Major.


From awe
Sent Monday, October 30, 2006 4:34 pm
To CSM RL
Cc
Bcc
Subject My Whereabouts

Hey Sergeant Major:

Is anybody looking for me? I'm not in Rustamiyah as planned. I was walking back to my hooch this morning to pack a bag for Rustamiyah (just in case) when I heard choppers coming in. Mr. Short said to be on station an hour ahead of time so I thought, Oh (deleted expletive), I'm a little behind and they're here already! I ran into my hooch, put my shaving kit in my bag, put on my body armor and kevlar and ran out to the helipad. The last guy was getting on the first bird and the crew chief waved me to the next bird. That crew chief was motioning for me to hurry; so I ran. I jumped aboard and the chopper lifted off before I could get my seat belt fastened (almost). I looked around and did not see anybody I knew. I asked the guy next to me where they were going and he said, "Liberty".

Yep..I got on the wrong flight. Not to worry...I'll just fly from Liberty to Rustamiyah. But, there is only one flight a day from Liberty to Rusty and it left twenty minutes before I landed. So, I hopped over to Washington for a 1440 flight to Rusty, with one stop at Mahmudia. I was waiting on the flight line at Washington when the crew chief tells me that I can't get on because they are full. I looked in the bird and there were about four empty seats. He just shook his head and showed me a manifest for the stop at Mahmudia. They were already overbooked with passengers at Mahmudia going to Rusty. So, I got bumped. That's why I'm writing you from the IZ.

I'm about to walk over to 10th CASH because my blood pressure is about out of control. Would you please find Mr. Short and tell him he's fired. There was no reason for him to fail to mention there was another flight in the same hour time window as the one to Rusty. Now I'm stuck, away from my job for three days that I can't afford. On second thought, don't say anything to Mr. Short. I'm the one that screwed up. How could I have done something so stupid? And they want to promote me to 06? I'm already doing the kind of stupid (expletive deleted) generals do. Anyway, I'll try to keep you posted on my whereabouts.

LTC E

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home