Name:
Location: Iraq

I'm a little home-sick, Doc, but I think I'll be better soon.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Letters Home

In the age of e-mail (and BLOGs), letters from home, though not as frequent, are essential to good morale. Let me tell you, one letter from home is worth 10,000 e-mails. Soldiers here may go two or three days without checking their e-mail but they’ll stay up half the night waiting on the 2 a.m. Blackhawk that brings our mail once or twice a month. When that bird touches down and they haul in our mail bags, it’s like Christmas. And, like men with dreadful insecurity problems, everybody compares how much mail and how many packages they receive to everybody else’s stack.

Well, the other day, I received a large package from some folks I had never heard of. The box was intended for another Soldier but he had returned to the states some months ago. So, the senders re-directed the box to me. Isn’t America great? Finally, I had a package bigger than everybody else’s! And I let em’ know it too.

The most inspiring part of the story is that the package was sent to a total stranger (me) by some great Americans in Jonesboro, Georgia. Hey, I know Jonesboro. But even more inspiring was that it contained notes and letters from people in Morrow, Georgia, the place where I grew up. Now what are the chances of that happening? I was so moved that I sat down and wrote these letters….home:

Dear Ms. Justice,
I wanted to let you know that I received the box of goods you sent to me. Thank you so much for caring enough to take the time (and expense) to direct sunshine from America to this ole boy in this bitter land. Thank God for patriots like you who have not forgotten how to give of themselves for others, even a stranger.

What a delight it was to open that big box and unload all those good gifts. I know it was meant for another Soldier, but God does not make mistakes and I’m thankful it found its way to me. I have further distributed the items to our Soldiers and to some very appreciative Iraqis. My Iraqi guards and interpreters are very grateful to America and they pray that we never leave! (I’m trying to teach them another prayer). They dread the day we depart. But most of the items are going to our guys…..

Please pass my “thank you” to Ms. White and to Ms. Brooks. Also, please thank everyone else who contributed. May God continue to bless you and the greatest nation in the world with people like you.




Dear Ms. White,
I am writing you from Besmaya, Iraq, to let you know that I recently received a large box of care goods from a Ms. Justice of Jonesboro. Among the contents was a note you had written to a Soldier back in February of this year. Your note indicated it was Sunday, and you were getting ready to leave for Sunday School. Well, somehow that note made it to my desk here in the middle of the desert. Although not intended for me, God used it to touch my heart and it gave me such a wonderful blessing. I just thought you should know.
Perhaps the blessing came from knowing that the note was written by a total stranger (I don’t think I know you) who lives in my home town. I grew up in Morrow, went to Morrow High School and was married in the First Baptist Church in Morrow. I have always been so proud to say, “I’m from Morrow, Georgia”, and folks like you are why I’m so proud.

But, on further reflection, I think I was so touched by your note because my imagination transported me to your kitchen, where I assumed you had sat at your breakfast table that morning for a little quiet and meditation. I imagined you saying a little prayer as you wrote a few lines to someone, possibly in harms way, on the other side of the world. Well, on his behalf, thank you. And, since I’m the one who benefited from your kindness, I want to thank you also.

May God bless you and continue to bless our nation with people like you.

A

p.s. If you know Ms. Brooks, please tell her that her note was also received, with appreciation from this stranger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home