Name:
Location: Iraq

I'm a little home-sick, Doc, but I think I'll be better soon.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

"Here in Topeka" or "The News From Lake Wobegon"

NOT. But we have ended another week in Besmaya.

Before I go any further, I want to tell you that the last picture I've included in this blog entry is very special. It was taken earlier this week by Captain Kangaroo and I told him that I think it is good enough for National Geographic. Please view it last, and long. I call it "Beautiful". He's so lucky with his little camera. When I look at it I think of that Peter Gabriel song, "In Your Eyes".

Me and CSM Law took a trip up to Taji to pick up some radios and pick the brains of some of the smarter Lieutenant Colonels; friends of mine, running schools in Communications, Engineering and Logistics. They've cracked the code - I haven't. We're so far behind getting our school going that it makes my head hurt. I guess if I were in America, doing the same thing, you could say I had "job security".

Our ride....courtesy of 1st Cav Airways

While me and the Sergeant Major were in Taji, some of the guys here went out to a local village (name protected) and visited a school. They gave out stuff we've been collecting for these kids from people back home. Some of it came from the Treat's of Fayetteville, GA, and the Strouds of Winston Salem, NC. Many others contributed too, including Wal-Mart, HBO and folks from dozens of states. It was a good day for the troops and it's probably better that I had to be somewhere else. I'm not sure I'm emotionally equipped for these kinds of missions.

The Iraqi Army students are winding up their training and will begin their final week tomorrow. Here are some pictures of their training. A Pink Floyd song comes to mind, "We Don't Need No Education." And that's the news from Besmaya, where the men are men and there ain't no women. So, you never have to lift the seat, there's no one here but men men men men.

Broke down (again).





Somebody's enjoying this search a little too much.




Planning a military operation takes a lot of time and hard work. The up-side is.... you get to play in the sand.

This is a planning matrix. I have no idea what it says.

Yea! It's time to go in for some Chai (tea).

And finally...BEAUTIFUL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home