Name:
Location: Iraq

I'm a little home-sick, Doc, but I think I'll be better soon.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Wrapping It Up
at Besmaya is not easy. We graduated our students on Thursday and we've been in the process of handing the reins over to the new team from the 104th Division. So, we've been working very hard the past two weeks. But now, it's time for us to leave.

Not so fast there Highspeed....all flights tomorrow have been cancelled.....
Looks like another few days here in beautiful Besmaya.

I can't tell you how difficult it is to farewell my friends here. It is very unlikely that I will ever see them again. These guys, especially my interpreters, are really like brothers to me. They have looked out for me, kept danger away from me, kept me straight on who is telling the truth (through translation) and who is full of bull, and frankly, made me their kin. And my cadre of Iraqi officers.....that's a story unto itself. I wish I could convey just how much they mean to me and how proud I am of their progress.

Perhaps I'll write more over the next few days as I await transportation back to America. In the mean time....here are a few pics for you to enjoy.


Our post graduation feast. This is in the Commandant's office and catered by the Iraqi cooks from the school dining facility. It is very good food.....IF you don't mind eating with your fingers or having someone grab a piece of lamb (with their hand) and put it on your plate for you.


A council of colonels - These are the three Iraqi Officers I advise: Staff Colonel H, the commandant, his deputy, Colonel M (right), and the chief of instruction, Colonel H2 (left). It's really a great team. As I was leaving the school yesterday, one of the majors came up to me with tears in his eyes and said, "We don't want you to leave. You're what holds us together." What a compliment. But, if we've done our job, they'll be fine.


A couple of guys who keep us safe while we sleep... dropped by to say good bye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home