Name:
Location: Iraq

I'm a little home-sick, Doc, but I think I'll be better soon.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A Letter Home

Sorry to go so long between posts. Not at a point to write much so I'll share an e-mail to my mother. I don't think she'll mind.

Hey Mom.

Thanks for the compliments. She is a VERY special girl. I'm sorry I have not written much lately but we've been so busy. I've been in the field most every day for the past couple of weeks. I'm so drained but I'm really enjoying this experience. I get the biggest high when we're out doing our mission - but then someone or something is always conspiring against the good, and THAT levels me again. You know, ups and downs.

I love watching these students. This is a very class oriented society so I make sure they know the colonel is always right there with them. They're not used to seeing senior officers sweat it out with the masses. We trained all day in the heat and stayed out in the field last night, not something they like to do. After my NCOs explained how the guard roster worked (we have to maintain security through the night) the students were a bit disheveled. I watched for a little while as the Lieutenants (students) tried to explain to my NCOs that they did not need to do security because this was "just training". I stood in the back and let it go for about five minutes then gathered them around me.

Gentlemen, we have all trained very hard today and I, like you, am very tired. My old bones are aching and I'm looking forward to a few hours rest. But let me tell you, at some hour tonight I will pull guard duty. There are only five of us and I can not ask someone to do his duty and mine too. I must do my own duty. But there are seventeen of you. This is a small matter for seventeen. Why do you debate it? Sure, we are in training, but it is not completely safe. As soon as you let down your guard, the enemy comes like a thief in the night (I always try to throw in a Bible verse on these guys). At the very least we have weapons and ammunition that must be guarded, lest it be stolen while we sleep.

And gentlemen, do not think for one moment that any of you are above pulling guard. How can you, when you return to your platoon, expect your jundi to do something you were not willing to do yourselves? You will each pull a shift tonight and other nights we are in the field. Then, you will know what it is like for your soldiers when they are on watch. Believe me, you will also learn that you must keep watch on those who keep watch for you. As leaders, you will get less sleep than anyone under your command. You must constantly check on the guard or they will think you do not care. If they think you do not care, two things will happen. One, they will not be vigilant to keep the watch and will expose your whole command to possible calamity. Second, they will not follow you in combat because they will believe you do not care for their welfare. This, gentlemen, all because you were not willing to pull guard.

And that is what I do here. Thanks for praying for me. I love you.

awe

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see the blogger had a little time to share his work with us....These guys you are with probably do not realize how fortunate they are to have you with them. You continue to inspire me with what you are doing over there every day. Continue to be strong and do what you do best...LEAD. I like the references to God's word you are able to share with the guys. Keep it up.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home